Whilst Christmas brings joy to many, for others it can be a time of loneliness, hardship and depression, bringing with it an increased risk of suicide. It is also a particularly vulnerable time for those who are sleeping rough – in 2009, overnight temperatures dropped to a record low of minus 17.6 degrees.
What we offer
At Christmas, when homeless and vulnerable people need comfort and support more than at any other time, a lack of friends and family with whom to spend the festive period only exaggerates the feeling of isolation. At Lifeshare, we relieve this isolation by operating an ‘open house’ out of the Charter St Ragged School on Dantzic St in Ancoats from 8am to 8pm for six days over the Christmas period. From this facility, we are able to provide:
- Company: Every day, we are staffed by around 60 volunteers who like nothing more than a chat over a cup of tea, a game of scrabble, or a sound thrashing at table tennis
- Entertainment: Television, table tennis, board games and live entertainment in the evenings
- Food: A cooked breakfast, soup and sandwiches for lunch, a hot evening meal and unlimited tea, coffee and biscuits
- Clothing: Trousers, t-shirts, jumpers, hats, gloves, scarves, socks and underwear
- Bedding: Sleeping bags and blankets
- Toiletries: Toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap and shampoo
- Medical care: On most days, we have an on-site doctor, podiatrist and dentist
This work is kindly supported by donations from the public and the very generous support of local food suppliers.
How to get involved
- Read more about the Project by downloading the Lifeshare Christmas Project Flyer
- Check out the frequently asked questions or contact us if you have a specific query about the Project
- Volunteer for the Project (apply during October only) and get involved directly
- Donate money to help cover the costs of the Project
- Donate goods that we can use for the Project, such as food, clothing, books and toiletries
- Promote the Project by printing this Poster and putting it up in your workplace and on community notice boards at your local school, church, supermarket or coffee shop. (Please get permission before doing so.)
Christmas Volunteer Inductions
Wednesday 5 December – 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Wednesday 12 December – 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Building Preparation Dates
Saturday 15 December – 10 am to 2 pm
Friday 21 December – 10 am to 4 pm.